I just finished a toe-up gusset and flap sock heel. I think this will be my preferred toe-up heel (and since toe-up is my preferred method it will likely be my preferred heel in general). The yarn isn't really right for this sock though, beyond the variegation fighting the pattern it should be knitted in a firmer gauge but the pattern doesn't scale and probably wouldn't fit if I dropped a needle size or two. Ah well, knitting it was more to scratch an itch than to have useful socks.
And yes, that would be my first set of shoe lasts that the sock is modeled on. I should also get off my butt and do something on that project as well. I'm not sure that those lasts are even the right size anymore, I started the project that long ago.
I've been swatching the heck out of the #10 bamboo crochet thread I have. It's nice on size 0 needles and while it's not the best for cables (too slippery and soft) the cables don't look horrible. It's definitely better for things that don't require a lot of stitch definition.
Still haven't frogged the sweater even though I know I should. I keep taking it out and measuring, as if the extra six inches of ease will just go away if I do that. Part of my reluctance is that I haven't figured out the best way to fix the problem, or where the problem came from exactly. Sure my gauge may have just loosened up as I got comfortable with the pattern, but what is part of the problem is a method error in measuring? The major part of the hesitation is just the amount of work that has gone to waste. I started that sweater at the end of March last year, and while it sat most of the summer untouched it still represents a lot of work, over forty thousand stitches worth.
While trying to avoid thinking on the sweater I made some eye-searing, cat-scaring slippers:
Modular/domino knitting is addictive. I've added a cardigan to my queue that uses the technique for the "skirt" from underbust to hip. Since I have the yarn for 3-4 other sweaters already it's pretty far down the list though.
I'm about forty percent finished with that heating pad cover. It's ideal TV knitting, but I don't watch that much TV. :D
The shawl is still in the bin, I should take that out and work on the next segment rather than starting something new.
And spring seems to be the time of the year for sewing urges. I need to give my machine a thorough cleaning and tune-up and investigate my fabric stash for ideas. I know I don't have the stuff for one of the things I want to make, so have a shopping list to puzzle over:
5 buttons - metal and shanked, preferably riveted/"jeans" style
4 buckles - sized for 1" straps
54 eyelets - "standard" size, 2-part preferred but unlikely locally
1 D-ring - 1" size
2.5 yards light to medium weight twill or heavy broadcloth
About thirty four of the eyelets could be replaced with rivets, they're decorative rather than functional. They could also be omitted entirely but some of the charm of the original item might be lost if they were.